Wednesday, December 9, 2009

T'was the night before...

... brachytherapy... and all through the house...

Oh forget it.  I couldn't begin to keep that up.  :-)

In a flurry of activity last night I re-read some instructions from one of the doctor's offices and discovered that in the midst of appointment fu (aka, one of the doctors' offices moving appointments) I had missed the instruction to go to the surgical admitting guys at the hospital and get blood taken, an EKG done, and a chest x-ray... and I panicked.  Called that office this morning and they were all 'no big deal... just get them done today" so instead of being at work this afternoon I was over doing those things at the hospital.

Hospitals are amazing things in so many ways. So much paper!  So much repetitive data collected. But hey! They were having a sale! No kidding.  They'd worked out all the financial details with the insurance company already, and If I paid my co-pay early, I got almost a $400 discount!  I went for it. Duh!

Nifty fact:  During the chest x-ray I found out that I have lungs that won't fit on one slide of an x-ray.  The technician was all about it... and kept calling different people in and marveling over it.  He asked if i was a swimmer (I have been... but not for the last few years)... because he's evidently seen some correlation there.  You may wonder, as I have, what a chest x-ray has to do with prostate stuff... and I have no idea.

Anyway, the next big step is tomorrow: the radioactive seeds get implanted and I become Radioactive Man!  Woot!  I realize, looking back on the day, that I've gone through some unexplainable anger, then some feeling sorry for myself, a bit of being fearful about the procedure and my reaction to it (the last one being a typical pre-surgery thing for me) and then (finally) back to where I started, which is that this is just another step along the way.

Most of all I am really thankful for family and friends. The support and love is incredible.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck on your procedure today Thursday Dec 10. I'll be thinking about you and those needles. .... and am looking forward to your next post with all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Floridastan, a sound like the contented humming of numerous almost microscopic metallic green wasps rose through the perfumed air and floated above the chanter at the non-denominational Temple of Positive Thoughts, setting off an infinite (but focused) Gleickian wave that reached its target in California. UM

    ReplyDelete