Monday, February 8, 2010

In the wake of week 1 of radiation treatments

Last Friday, week one of radiation treatments ended quietly and uneventfully with me feeling more tired than I thought I should have felt, but everyone else thinking I was a bit off my gourd, so to speak.  OK... I think everyone else is right, and I'm wrong... and I freely admit it.  And the only lame explanation I can give for my thinking is that I had the idea I would somehow be able to tell the difference between this radiation tiredness and the tiredness from the radioactive seeds.  Or this tiredness and the tiredness associated with the hormone treatment (which is still a very present factor).  Or (weirdly) this radiation tiredness and the general tiredness brought on by general life stuff.

Mistaken?  Yep.  But, still, I want to know more than I have had time to discover.  Here's a short list of items I'm still curious about:
  • Body absorption rates - what is the ramp-up curve of symptoms relative to the rate at which my body absorbs the radiation?
  • Along with that, how does the body deal with the radiation? Meaning, what different processes are running in overdrive right now simply because of the radiation? (That one seems like a simple one to answer, but is it?)
  • How is this program of radiation actually designed?  I ask that because I noticed over the last week that the rotation of the machine around me is not consistent. Nor is the duration of exposure equal in all locations.  So, how is this laid out?  And, following that, who checks to see if it's actually working?
  • Is there anything written about the drugs I'm taking (bicalutamide and Flo-max now) having an effect on dreams?  I'm having some pretty interesting ones.
  • I need to know more about Vitamin D and bone loss in men due to the lack of testosterone that this treatment regimen causes.  What are the long term effects? How much damage is being done? And what happens if my body doesn't begin producing testosterone on it's own after this treatment is over?
Still on my list of things to do: create a visual of the overlapping treatments I'm doing.  There's no real need for this, but having something like it would have helped me understand the treatment sequence and layout when I started. 

There's more... but it's late and sleep beckons.  Onward into week two!

No comments:

Post a Comment