Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Drugs, drugs, and more drugs

Oh, and did I mention drugs?  But first... the countdown continues: 7 of 28 sessions down.  Woot!

This week, due to some fun with my corporate drug dealer (ok, business partner) I had to turn a long term prescription into a mail-order thing.  That's fine, but the whole experience is weird.  And it just keeps getting better.  But the corporate connection came through in stellar fashion, complete with a computer voice call to put me at ease.  The woman who "talked" to me told me they had just shipped my prescription, so CLAM DOWN you silly human, you.  Ya Maroon!  I know I was ... uh... impressed.

The bag with the drug arrived and inside was a ton of paper telling me all about this drug - which is the generic form of FloMax.  Interesting list of possible side effects, one of which was kind of funny, in a twisted way: decreased semen.  I laughed.  Sorry... but I did.  And if you go looking for a list of side-effects of this drug, have fun.  Oh yeah, there is some mention of nasal congestion and coughing, which I have had.  And I think this one has lowered my blood pressure a bit.  Otherwise, no big deal.

The hormones continue to cause hot flashes... which are getting a bit more insistent as time passes.  I'm wondering what happens when I stop the testosterone blocker.  I was supposed to be on that for 6 months, which would have taken me out to March 21st I think, but today I found out that maybe I stop taking that when the radiation treatments end.  Need to confirm that next week.

And I did a little reading about bone mass loss in men due to no testosterone.  That, coupled with an article about the benefits of vitamin D has made me start pounding the little chewable calcium tablets... (they've got vitamin D in them as well) in the hopes of heading some of that off.  If it's not already too late.  Seems that recent data indicates that anti-seizure medications can cause bone loss too.  And I've been on those for AGES.

Re-reading this I think it's a bit scattered.  But it's time for a quick nap before dinner... and I'm not going to fuss over it. The post.  Not the nap.

2 comments:

  1. So do you have a book or film deal for this yet?

    BroCo Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah my BroCo! So good to hear from you! And no... no such thing going down right now, but who knows? Stranger things have happened! - Neale

    ReplyDelete