Sunday, January 31, 2010

Support & wisdom and STYLE

Standing on the edge of the next phase of treatment, and undoubtedly stressing a little about it, I'm struck with how subtle remarks from friends and family are (to quote my mother) "a boon and a blessing".  Examples abound, from comments on this blog, to supporting remarks left on Facebook, to my sister saying that the fatigue I'm feeling now is an indication of work taking place.  And it's easy to lose track of the fact that work is taking place.  All of this forms a web of thought, feeling, and support that amazes me.

And so this post is to acknowledge the wisdom of the group, the support that provides this intangible yet clearly present gift.  There is no way to be worthy of such a gift, but there are ways to be thankful.

I know this path has to be walked down, and that is no trite phrase. It literally has to be walked: 5 days a week, for the next few weeks, until the radiation is done.  Oh all right... I'm driving down part of it (the road to the doctor's office).  But as I used to say about some other stressful work... you just keep going and really, you can do almost anything for 5 weeks. It's not that long.

And maybe "edge" was the wrong word. This isn't so much like jumping off a cliff, which is sort of implied by that word.  It's more of another door, a word which I fear borders too closely on a hackneyed cliche (excuse me if it is!).  Or maybe just another step down the hall that leads from the radiation waiting room to the door that says "High Radiation!" (I am not making that up... I'll have to get a picture of that door) at the doctor's office.

I am, and will ever be, in debt to the gathered support and wisdom of the people in my life.

As for STYLE...
well, someone... you know who you are... gave me a little nudge about the total lack of discussion of what the stylin' radiation patient might wear to a dance with the Varian Systems IMRT machine.  Well, although I hadn't written about it, I actually gave this a great deal of thought... mainly because I can't stand the goofy hospital gown + hospital pajama bottom fare offered at the doctor's office.  To tell the truth, I have never understood the tie at the back of the neck, open down the back gown deal that you get at hospitals.  And the large pajama bottoms... well, two of me could fit in one leg.  Really.  And then tying them (to stay up while walking down the hall), untying them to get them off, and then retying them was so much wasted time...


So, my solution, is this: Sweatpants.  Classic style, classic oh-so-fetching gray color.  Elastic band (so they can slip off while on the table so the technician can see those tres amazing alignment tattoos). And they're LONG enough.  Add to that a heavy-duty black T-shirt, worn untucked, of course. And socks... to keep my toes warm.  I wore this wonderful outfit to my initial dry run on Friday, and it was all just hunky-dory.  There wasn't anything flapping in the wind, I stayed warm, and I didn't feel like a fool walking down the hall - going in or out.  Not feeling like a fool ranks high on my list. 

Better yet, I can throw this stylin' outfit in a stuff sack and throw it in the car so it's just there for me every day.  Best of all... it works... and I don't have to muck with the goofy hospital garb.

No comments:

Post a Comment