Sunday, May 30, 2010

Nutrition... or not

I've been thinking about the effects of the radiation and how those effects have been altering my body.  That's no big surprise.  But thinking (and talking to friends about my thoughts) has led me to decide to start taking some pro-biotic vitamins and supplements.  So I went out today and bought some things to start taking.  And all of that got me wondering why it took so long to get me to this place.

It seems to me that the people who took me through this process to defeat the cancer (which I am hoping we have done) are the same ones who should advise me (somewhat) on recovering from the wildly unnatural treatment I've been through.  Or am almost through.

When I started external beam radiation, the radiation technicians (or the nurses associated with them) gave me some information about diet during radiation treatments.  (They also gave me an introductory set of materials about prostate cancer that seemed a bit funny to me at the time.  After all, I'd been in treatment for about 6 months by the time they handed me those materials.)  Anyway, I questioned the diet advice they gave me because it just didn't make sense (and the materials didn't help convince me).  But even though I questioned the information, I was aware of it and was therefore more conscious of how my body was handling food during the treatments.   

But no one said boo! about recovering from radiation treatments.  Well, that isn't quite accurate. They seemed to say that time will tell.  Wait and see.  Or something along those lines.  But wait a second.  The radiation oncologist has maps of where the most intense radiation hits, and where the next most intense stuff hits, and so on.  And the colon is one of the areas that gets hit fairly hard because of its location relative to the prostate gland.  (Or I think it gets hit fairly hard. I haven't seen my radiation map, so I don't know for sure.)  So, having those maps might lead someone to say, "Hmm... wonder what happens to all the flora in the bowel when we pump radiation into the area? I bet it kills it off better than being on antibiotics. I wonder how long that stuff takes to regenerate?"  Or maybe they don't think like that.  But I do.  Now.

Anyway, shouldn't there be a set of general guidelines of things you can do to get the flora of the colon back to some semblance of normal balance following treatments like this?  It would be a good thing to have is all I'm saying.  Instead, because I'm generally a bonehead about diet, my tendency would be to jump back into my diet of old and think things should be just hunky-dory (not!).  And if I have questions, floundering around on the web seems to require that I know the answer I'm looking for already.  So what am I supposed to do?
 
What I want is a kind of "Nutrition for Dummies - The Nuclear Medicine Version" (don't sue me, Dummies people!).  Or "Nutrition after Radiation."  Or how about a referral to a nutritionist at the end of radiation treatments?  Or even an online reference to someone you can pose questions to?  Would that be so hard?  I don't think so.  And it would leave me thinking that the wise doctors had considered more than a specialty-oriented view of the situation.  And that would make me feel so... so... special.  Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment